Skip to main content

Hiring External Consultants? Remember “The Bobs” by Steven P. LaRosa, M.D.



In today’s day and age organizations including hospitals hire outside consultants to address an issue or challenge that has arisen. These consultants are considered experts in the subject matter and are usually independent entities and command large sums of money for their efforts. It is a very good gig if you can get it as I have benefited from this role many times myself! Consultants work on their own timelines and upon completion of their work presents a plan to the senior leadership of the organization. It is pretty unheard of for senior leadership of an organization not to enact the recommendations of the consultant. The reasoning is “hey this person is an expert and we have paid him/her a lot of money, so he/she must be right”.

When you think about hiring external consultants I want you two remember the cult movie “Office Space”. The company, Initech, had hired these two ass clowns  Bob Slydell and Bob Porter, “the Bobs”, to decide who would be let go from the company. These guys were hysterical but you would be hard pressed to say they were effective. In fact, Milton, one of the fired employees, goes on to burn the business down and two other loyal fired employees try to steal from the company.
  
So let me tell you another funny story about consultants. In 2001 while a Clinical Research Physician at Eli Lilly and Company I was fortunate to direct the pivotal phase III registration trial (PROWESS) of recombinant activated human protein C in patients with severe sepsis. This trial was terminated early by an independent Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) because of the highly statistically significant (P< 0.005) reduction in mortality in patients that had received the active drug. Plans then began in earnest to submit a BLA to the FDA. As the generic name for the drug was Drotrecogin alfa (activated) a parallel activity of finding a brand name for the drug was begun. To this end, a large consulting firm was hired and paid a “shload” of money to perform this task.

I remember the final presentation by this group to the full Product Team at Lilly as if it was yesterday. They unveiled the new name for the drug, ZOVANT. I am not kidding. Do the Google search. At the meeting I blurted out “that dog won’t hunt!” I was questioned about my response and explained that this name was not acceptable from a safety standpoint as it was spelled and sounded too much like marketed drugs that were used in ICU patients such as Zoloft, Zofran and Zosyn. Zovant was an anticoagulant drug with the potential for bleeding; no small side effect if a patient received the drug inadvertently. I was reassured that the consulting company could not possibly be wrong. Lilly had paid them all this money after all.

I will move ahead to the pre-BLA meeting between Lilly and the FDA. Ahead of this meeting Lilly had provided the agency with a set of questions to be discussed. One of these questions was if the FDA would accept the trade name Zovant for the drug. At the meeting the FDA answered this question with a resounding “No”. When pressed on this matter, agency officials noted that there were too many “sound alike” medications and there existed a significant potential for medication errors. I cannot tell you how many evil looks I received from my Lilly colleagues. Needless to say it was a very lonely flight home for me on the Lilly charter from D.C. to Indy.

I tell this story not as an exercise in self-aggrandizement. The point is I had spent years working in hospitals and ICUs. I knew what medications were used on patients and how a medication error could lead to an adverse event. I had developed this expertise simply by virtue of past experience. Similarly, many hospitals and organizations have employees with vast experience and expertise who are most apt to be able to address and fix the concerns of the organization. How often are these people passed over in lieu of paid external consultants? How much money is wasted?

Uh oh, I just realized I may have just cost myself lots of money in consulting fees! I guess I will just go have bourbon out of my ZOVANT mug.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I'm Throwing you (ID) Pearls Here" by Steven P. LaRosa, M.D.

Prior to me employed by a non-academic teaching hospital I spent 11 years teaching Infectious Disease to medical students, Internal Medicine residents and ID fellows at 3 different academic teaching hospitals. I had a vast array of clinical pearls that I would share on teaching rounds. In my last 5 years in a non-teaching setting I am often amazed that no one ever taught physicians who are Board Certified in Internal Medicine these important teaching points. I thought it might be useful to share some of my favorite ID teaching points or "pearls" in this blog. 1) oral Beta lactam agents are not adequate treatment of bacteremia 2) Beta-lactam- beta lactamase drugs (Unasyn, Zosyn) and Carbapenems (Ertapenem and Meropenem) have perfectly adequate anaerobic coverage and do not require the addition of Metronidazole 3) Oral vancomycin has no bioavailability 4) Vancomycin is inferior to Beta lactam drugs for the treatment of serious MSSA infections 5) When awaiting sensiti

"The Viral Hypothesis of Alzheimer's Disease: Time to put it to the test!" by Steven P. LaRosa, M.D.

Alzheimer’s disease (AD) was estimated to affect 35.5 million people worldwide in 2010 and is expected to affect 115.4 million people by 2050. Approximately 10% of people over 65 are affected and 50% of population > 85 are affected. The currently approved drugs provide minimal benefit. The benefit of experimental drugs observed in Phase II clinical trials has been followed by resounding failures in adequately powered Phase III clinical trials. Even the results of the highly publicized Biogen study have significant questions associated with it. It is quite clear that a new strategy must be entertained and tested. Four members of the Human Herpes Virus family have been associated with development of Alzheimer’s disease; HSV-1, VZV, HHV-6A, and HHV-7. HSV-1 is capable in vitro leading to the production the Beta amyloid protein found in senile plaques and phosphorylating tau protein seen in neurofibrillary tangles seen in Alzheimer’s, a   phenomenon that can be blocked by co-incub

"Testing Strategies Against Lyme Persisters" by Steven LaRosa, MD

Recently I was contacted and interviewed by a party to get my feelings about the state of treatment of Lyme disease. On the phone we lamented about the sizable number of poor souls who continue to suffer symptoms after what is considered standard of care treatment. I made it clear to the interviewer that I practice only evidence-based medicine and that I treat patients based upon the IDSA guidelines. I also railed against physicians who treat patients with months of parenteral antibiotic therapy for “Chronic Limes’ Disease” (ha ha). I stated fairly aggressive and believe that such practices opens the patient to life threatening infections including catheter-related bacteremia and Clostridium difficile colitis. After I got off the phone I started to do some soul searching. I have gotten so used to saying the same lines over and over again, but when was the last time that I actually had looked at the literature? The answer obviously was way too long ago. I was able to identify 5 cli