Skip to main content

Popular posts from this blog

"I'm Throwing you (ID) Pearls Here" by Steven P. LaRosa, M.D.

Prior to me employed by a non-academic teaching hospital I spent 11 years teaching Infectious Disease to medical students, Internal Medicine residents and ID fellows at 3 different academic teaching hospitals. I had a vast array of clinical pearls that I would share on teaching rounds. In my last 5 years in a non-teaching setting I am often amazed that no one ever taught physicians who are Board Certified in Internal Medicine these important teaching points. I thought it might be useful to share some of my favorite ID teaching points or "pearls" in this blog. 1) oral Beta lactam agents are not adequate treatment of bacteremia 2) Beta-lactam- beta lactamase drugs (Unasyn, Zosyn) and Carbapenems (Ertapenem and Meropenem) have perfectly adequate anaerobic coverage and do not require the addition of Metronidazole 3) Oral vancomycin has no bioavailability 4) Vancomycin is inferior to Beta lactam drugs for the treatment of serious MSSA infections 5) When awaiting sensiti

Opening One’s Mind to Lyme Disease Treatment (at least to need for more clinical trials)

Recently I was contacted and interviewed by a party to get my feelings about the state of treatment of Lyme disease. On the phone we lamented about the sizable number of poor souls who continue to suffer symptoms after what is considered standard of care treatment. I made it clear to the interviewer that I practice only evidence-based medicine and that I treat patients based upon the IDSA guidelines. I also railed against physicians who treat patients with months of parenteral antibiotic therapy for “Chronic Limes’ Disease” (ha ha). I stated fairly aggressive and believe that such practices opens the patient to life threatening infections including catheter-related bacteremia and Clostridium difficile colitis. After I got off the phone I started to do some soul searching. I have gotten so used to saying the same lines over and over again, but when was the last time that I actually had looked at the literature? The answer obviously was way too long ago. I was able to

Steven P. LaRosa, MD CV

  CURRICULUM VITAE Steven P. LaRosa, M.D. Address                       23 Junction Lane South Hamilton, MA 01982 Phone                          (401) 575-1812 Email                          slarosamd@gmail.com THERAPEUTIC AREAS Infectious Diseases Pulmonary/ Critical Care Coagulation Inflammation/Immunology Extracorporeal Devices RESEARCH EXPERIENCE Vice President, Clinical Development     Entasis Therapeutics, Mar 2020- present §   Medical lead- Phase III trial of Sulbactam-Durlobactam in Carbapem-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infections §   Safety Monitor- Phase III trial of Sulbactam-Durlobactam in Carbapenem-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii infections §   Medical Lead- Phase III trial of Zoliflodacin in Gonorrhea §   Responsible for clinical development of ETX0282CPDP in cUTIs §   Responsible for clinical development of ETX0462 for Pseudomonas aeruginosa §   Interactions with BARDA/DTRA/Batelle for biodefense applications of ETX0462 §   Me